Enjoying the Gift of Work, Day 30
Work existed before the fall, before sin entered the world, but sometimes I forget this. I have worked jobs I’ve loved and jobs I haven’t. Work is fundamentally a necessity in our world, and yet, God designed work to be something that brings purpose and joy to our lives.
Yet work in our world has become
- a means to an end
- a way to pay the bills
- a way to eliminate debt
- a drudgery
or it is…
- something we avoid doing
- something we loathe doing
- something we don’t want to do
This was never God’s intention. God placed Adam in the Garden of Eden in Genesis 2:15, “The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.”
I think it’s appropriate that enjoying the gift of work is the last day of this challenge’s post because you have much work to do if you are to continue to purposely and passionately love your husband and continue to walk humbly with God.
- God promises us hard work has a reward, and reminds us of the dangers of laziness. Proverbs 12:11 says, “Those who work their land will have abundant food, but those who chase fantasies have no sense.” Proverbs 13:4 says, “A sluggard’s appetite is never filled, but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied.”
- God reminds us that there is a time to enjoy the fruits of our labor and rest. Genesis 2:3 says, “Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.” Ecclesiastes 2:24 says, “There is nothing better for a man than to eat and drink and tell himself that his labor is good. This also I have seen that it is from the hand of God.”
- God reminds us to enjoy the fruits of our labor and share together. Deuteronomy 12:7 says, “There also you and your households shall eat before the LORD your God, and rejoice in all your undertakings in which the LORD your God has blessed you.” Hebrews 13:6 says, “And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.” Hebrews 10:24-25 says, “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”
I don’t always remember that it is a gift to have an able body and sharp mind and to be able to work – for my church, in school, for my job, and for my husband and home. But these are wonderful, amazing gifts from God.
Work has become polluted, but God reminds us in His Word that He redeems all things. As followers of Christ, we can reclaim work as something to be enjoyed despite hardship and something with value and purpose. Work has been redeemed because of the work Christ did on the cross on your behalf, taking upon His shoulders the penalty for your sin, dying for your salvation and rising again to reconcile you with the Father in Heaven so that you might have eternal life and fellowship with Him. Isn’t that a beautiful thing! This is the Gospel message! God loved you so much that He worked on your behalf, died on your behalf, and brought us back to Him. You can serve Him because of the work He has completed.
I leave you with these verses and thank you for joining me on this journey.
I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.”
On this day, give thanks for the work God has blessed you with, and the work you have done during this challenge. Praise God because He has equipped you to complete this challenge. Look back on all the work you have done and look forward to all the work you will do. Blessings, my friends!
This is Day 30 of the 30 Dates in November Challenge 2016 and this is the final challenge post for 2016. If you didn’t get the opportunity to participate with us this year, you can still sign up here to access the challenge content. You can participate in the challenge on the forums even after this challenge is completed or if you need to catch up at any time and at your own pace. Join us on the forums for the challenge of the day and participate in a supportive community.