The Eager Wife, Day 8
What’s the first word that comes to mind when you hear the word “eager?” Personally I think beaver, but I don’t think this is what Solomon (or Lemuel or his mother) had in mind when they said, “she works with eager hands” (Proverbs 31:13).
Working with the hands is somewhat of a lost art. Most wives I know don’t sew their own clothes, bake their own bread, make their own soaps, till their own gardens, and keep their homes in ship-shape cleanliness. Before reading the practical half of Proverbs 31, we’ll focus on the spiritual. As a wife and homemaker, you need to start with a willing, enthusiastic attitude, eager to glorify God and to please your husband.
What does the Bible say about attitude?
Today’s Bible verse tells us that whatever you do, do it in the name of Jesus. Jesus calls you to live all of life through Him. We shouldn’t compartmentalize, picking and choosing when and where to live out our values and beliefs. Your attitude, in everything, from driving your car to packing your husband’s lunch, from lovemaking to disagreements, from scrubbing your kitchen to cooking your meals, from singing praises to Him on Sunday and “whistling while you work” on Mondays – everything should reflect the change that Christ has made in you.
Ephesians 4:22-24 says, “Throw off your old, sinful nature and your former way of life…let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. Put on your new nature, created to be like God – truly righteous and holy.”
The Proverbs-31 wife works eagerly…
… to uplift her husband emotionally.
“The heart of her husband safely trusts her…” (vs. 11). 1 Corinthians 13:7 says, “[Love] always protects, always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres.”
- Speak kindly and respectfully.
- Watch what you say to others (using positive language, avoiding negative put-downs or gossip, keeping confidentiality, etc).
- Demonstrate compassion when he’s hurting or sick.
- Affirm his dreams, goals, and desires.
- Support his decisions.
- Show affection.
- Affirm his masculinity.
…to sustain her husband relationally.
1 John 3:18 says “Let us not love with mere words or tongue but with actions and truth.”
- Seek his advice.
- Communicate with him regularly.
- Spend quality time together, distraction-free.
… to stimulate her husband intellectually.
Philippians 2:4 says, “Don’t look out only for your interests, but take interest in others also.”
- Do research to understand his interests better.
- Encourage his self-growth.
- Try new things.
- Support his work.
…to encourage her husband spiritually.
Hebrews 10:24-25 says, “Let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.”
- Reinforce his personal devotional time.
- Pray for him.
- Encourage fellowship with other believers.
- Talk about things of God.
- Get involved in the local Body of Christ.
- Listen to uplifting Christian music.
… to please her husband sexually.
Song of Solomon 6:3 says, “I am my beloved’s and he is mine.”
- Say yes to sex regularly.
- Be confident in your sexuality.
- Pray for your sexual intimacy.
- Offer your body willingly.
- Be present in the moment.
- Touch frequently.
The eager wife works to
- protect and uplift her husband’s emotions.
- sustain and grow her marriage relationship, and actively engages in friendship with him
- show interest in her husband and his passions, pursuits, and intellectual interests
- works to lovingly support his relationship with God
- satisfy her husband on the marriage bed.
Now over to your email to do the daily challenges!
This post is Day 8 of the 30 Dates in November Challenge 2014. Sign-up via email. Receive daily challenges, additional encouragement, and extra goodies.
How does having a good attitude help your marriage? How do you work eagerly in your marriage?
Join the conversation on Twitter: #eagerhands Be sure to tag@BecomingHisEve.
- Posted in: 30 Dates in November ♦ 5 Love Languages ♦ Communication Tips & Techniques ♦ Encouragement ♦ Prayer ♦ Protecting Your Marriage ♦ Real Marriage ♦ Sex ♦ Sex by God's Design
- Tagged: 30 Dates in November 2014, Attitude, Friendship, Physical Affection & Attention, Quality Time, Spiritual Health, Spiritual Intimacy, Twitter, Words of Affirmation