67 Ways to Celebrate Summer
The first day of summer is near! Friday, June 21st marks the ushering in of summer. What does that mean? Time to celebrate, of course!
67 Ways to Celebrate Summer with Your Spouse
1. Take advantage of local summer attractions. Our local community offers outdoor concerts, movies in the park, and festivals during the summer. Check out your town or county website or pick up a local paper to find out when and where these things are. Usually, they’re inexpensive, and sometimes they’re even free.
2. Splish! Splash! Head to a local water park. There’s one within a half hour of here that Adam and I went to last year where you could bring in your own food and drinks all for under $20 for the two of us. While you may not get as lucky, do a little research on the Internet to find ones within driving distance. Be sure to pack plenty of cold drinks, towels, and sunscreen.
3. If you live close enough to the beach, head to the shore for the day. Load the cooler up with drinks, sandwiches, and snacks. Pack sunscreen, a beach umbrella, and towels. Don’t forget the Frisbee, football, or beach ball for some tossing fun. Check out next Wednesday’s post for a romantic day at the beach (or lake) date idea.
4. Can’t hit the beach and/or the water park idea is too expensive? Try a local swimming pool. Our local rec center charges $4 for adults all day and comes complete with a laps pool, rope swing, slides, kiddy pool, lazy river, challenge course, hot tubs, and a sauna.
5. Do that local tourist thing you’ve been putting off. Have you been wanting to try the new restaurant downtown? Make reservations today. Is there a tourist trap nearby that you’ve been wanting to see, but haven’t yet since you’re not exactly a “tourist?” Do it anyway! How about that park you always drive by but never stop at (For a truly cheesy but unusual date night idea at the park, click here)? Or that museum or art gallery you’ve been wanting to check out? Whatever it is, take initiative and make an afternoon, evening, or even a whole day of it!
6. Head to a local Farmer’s Market for some fresh pickings for dinner. Enjoy a candlelight balcony, patio, or backyard dinner with your spouse.
7. Roast s’mores over a campfire or fire pit (or even in your oven if all else fails).Experiment with different graham crackers, cookies, toppings.
Caramel Apple S’more? Cinnamon graham crackers, marshmallow, caramel square or caramel sauce, and thinly sliced apple.
Peanut butter S’more? Peanut butter cookie, marshmallow, and Reese’s peanut butter cup.
Or my latest favorite? Chocolate chip cookie, marshmallow, and thinly sliced strawberries.
8. On a hot night, treat your spouse to his/her favorite ice cream cone.
9. Wash the car together, vacuum out the inside, and throw away the trash. For some mischievous fun, learn how to make sponge bombs.
10. Go boating or white water rafting. Want something more low-key? Try a leisurely canoe ride.
11. Sit down with your spouse and pick out five or six parks or nature spots in the area. Then pick one a week to go to after church for a picnic together. Inexpensive and yummy date night!
12. Pack some trail mix, put on your boots, and go hiking. Be on the lookout for local wildlife and birds. Blaze a new trail (within reason, of course, be safe!).
Make your own trail mix by combining any of the following ingredients: dried fruit, pretzels, yogurt-covered pretzels, raisins, chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, m&m’s, banana chips, pecans, peanuts, almonds, cashews, walnut pieces, Chex cereal, Cheerios, granola pieces, Golden Grahams cereal, Reese’s pieces, crumbled rice cake pieces, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, mini marshmallows, popped popcorn, caramels, etc.
13. Throw a summer BBQ party. Invite friends and family over to celebrate the beginning of warmer days and nights. Do it potluck style to make things easy. Don’t forget to pick up some of those little umbrellas for everyone’s drinks.
14. Visit a local zoo or aquarium. Take advantage of guided tours and free movies. Grab some local grub or a snack. Don’t forget to pick up a fun souvenir for each other in the gift shop.
15. Build an outdoor campfire. Grab sticks and roast marshmallows and hot dogs. Or make a Williams family favorite – mountain pies. Here are some easy to make recipes.
16. Go horseback riding.
17. Go geo-caching.
18. Head to a local fair or festival.
19. Go find a field, preferably one with tall grass, and sit and watch the sunset. Don’t forget to smooch a little… okay, a lot!
21. Walk under the moonlight with your sweetheart. Preferably away from city lights, but even walking in the city at night (if it’s safe) can be incredibly romantic.
23. Spend an afternoon at an amusement park.
24. Grab brunch at a favorite restaurant. Take advantage of seasonal fruits like strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, avocado, and peaches.
25. Go camping.
26. Head to a local flea market or thrift store for some bargain hunting. Challenge each other to find the craziest item. Pick out a small gift for each other.
27. Get slurpees at 7-11 or slushies from a gas station (or upgrade to Jamba Juice).
28. Spend the morning bike riding.
29. Go on an impromptu road trip. Pick a destination (or don’t for more mystery), pack some snacks, build a music playlist, and hit the road together. Don’t forget some fun spontaneous detours.
30. Try your hand at an outdoor ropes course.
31. Go zip-lining.
32. Try a progressive dinner. Start at one restaurant for drinks and appetizers, head to another for the main course, and end up at a third for dessert.
33. Visit a vineyard. Pick out a delicious bottle of wine to take home. Cheaper alternative? Sometimes local wine stores and grocery stores do free tastings. Check these out.
34. Try rock climbing or bouldering.
35. Lay outside on a picnic blanket and watch the sunrise. Then treat your sweetie to coffee and a pastry.
36. Catch a ball game (pro or amateur).
37. Play frisbee or volleyball at the park. Shoot hoops at the park.
38. Feed each other chocolate covered strawberries.
39. Sip lemonade or iced tea on the porch or in your yard.
40. Go fishing.
41. Go for a carriage ride.
42. Head to your local hobby store, pick out a project, and work on it together for the afternoon. (Perfect for the backyard if you’re using smelly paints or for a rainy afternoon.)
43. Wrap yourselves in a blanket and watch a thunderstorm.
44. Take a walk around a lake or by a river or around the neighborhood.
45. Make banana splits.
46. Play croquet on the lawn.
47. Go berry picking.
49. Dance barefoot on the lawn.
50. Go for frosties at Wendy’s. Try the new Triple Berry Shake at Arby’s. Grab summer smoothies from McDonalds.
51. Fly a kite.
52. Pick out a watermelon, slice it up, and have a seed spitting contest.
53. Eat cotton candy. For fun, try cotton candy on a glowstick.
54. Host a yard sale to make a little extra cash. Invest in something fun or treat your spouse out to dinner with the money you make.
55. Swing in a hammock.
56. Visit a national park. Our local national park has free days in the summer sometimes. Check to see if yours does too.
57. Catch fireflies.
58. Do something on each of your bucket lists this summer.
59. Pick wildflowers.
60. Attend a summer movie matinee. Adam and I’d recommend Man of Steel.
61. Climb trees.
62. Make love outdoors… (somewhere private of course).
63. Play a friendly game of tag in the woods. When one of you catches the other, make sure to smooch a little before beginning the chase again.
64. Go paintballing.
65. Play a game of Hide and Seek with your sweetheart. Find a hiding place that is very private. Strip. Wait for your lover to find you. SURPRISE! (you might bring a blanket to wrap yourself in should someone else happen along!) *I borrowed this idea from Romantic-Ideas-Online.
66. Watch a movie outdoors with a projector or on the porch with a laptop. Pick up his/her favorite candy and surprise them!
67. Play Twister on the lawn. Can we say foreplay anyone?
Your turn? What other ideas do you have for celebrating summer together?
Editor’s Note: Becoming His Eve Marriage Moments Mondays will be back up Monday, June 24th, and will be continuing every other week following that.
- Posted in: Date Your Spouse ♦ Miscellaneous ♦ Romance ♦ Sex ♦ Spicing Up the Bedroom ♦ Updates
- Tagged: Artsy Dates, Dates on a Budget, Double or Group Dates, Foodie Dates, Game Dates, Great Outdoors Dates, Movie Dates, Out & About Dates, Seasonal Dates, Spicing Up Sex, Stay at Home Dates, Summer, Travel & Vacation Dates, Unique Date Ideas