15 Confessions of a Marriage Blogging Wife
This has been another trend among fellow CMBA bloggers. Without further adieu… my marriage blogging confessions:
1. Most weeks when I write a post, I end up learning more than I teach. I’ve grown so much in the past year I’ve been blogging. I’ve learned so much from my faithful readers and Twitter followers and other marriage & family bloggers. It’s an incredible blessing to be apart of the marriage blogging, marriage-affirming community!
2. I am addicted to Pinterest. I joined out of curiousity and now I have 105 boards and counting. Do I use everything I pin? No… not really. But I do make it my goal to try out at least 3-5 of the ideas I pin every month.
3. I learned almost everything I know about computers, social media, blogging, and fixing technical problems from trial and error. Google is my best friend in this regard (and now Pinterest) because I can just type in what I’m looking for, find a solution, and test it out. Everything else, I learned from my techie husband.
4. I never wanted to get married. *GASP* I know! Shocking! I came from a divorced family, and while I had seen some great marriages (like my grandparents’), I just didn’t think it was for me, starting at a very young age. Everything changed when Adam and I started dating. I’ve only been a marriage-affirming woman for about five years (and I’m only going into my third year in marriage).
5. I was the one that not-so-subtly pushed Adam into asking me out. We had been friends for three years, and once I reached a point where I felt ready to move past the are-we-friends-or-are-we-dating? stage. I had been in two (bad) relationships before where the guys said I didn’t take enough initiative. I was getting ready to graduate in a year, I (thought) I knew what I wanted from life, and I was done waiting forever for a guy to make up his mind. I point blank asked Adam if he liked me. He told me later that he found my confidence “sexy.” In fact, he told me that he actually felt like I was showing him respect because I wasn’t a girl who played games.
6. My engagement ring was custom designed, and made from a mold of Adam’s mother’s ring. It incorporates my two favorite colors: green emeralds and a blue Irish topaz. I didn’t want a traditional diamond. We would love to continue the tradition with our own children if possible. I still wear it today with my wedding band.
7. We actually didn’t spend every waking moment together on our honeymoon, and I don’t think all couples need to. In fact, my husband brought his computer and I brought a huge stack of books. I had just finished a grueling final semester of school, working 3 jobs, doing marching band, and trying to plan a wedding all on top of having mono. Not fun! It was by God’s grace I made it to the wedding, let alone the honeymoon. And I don’t think this means we had problems. We both really did enjoy each other, but it was so nice to relax and just be.
8. Wedding night sex? Let’s just say I was not prepared. I really had no idea what I was getting myself into – but thankfully my husband is incredibly patient and loving. I’m so glad we discussed expectations, questions, and desires during our engagement, but I don’t think anything really “fully” prepares you for that first night. I was actually pleasantly surprised (later) in our marriage with how much I enjoyed sex. I’ve learned so much about my husband, about myself, and about God through sexual intimacy.
9. I love any excuse to celebrate – and I love planning date nights. I also love surprising my husband. I never get him a gift he’s expecting. I started out setting the bar high and now I have to work hard to keep surprising him.
10. It’s not always easy to make Bible reading a priority. Sometimes I read 5 days in a row, sometimes I read every other day, and sometimes I skip a few days and come back to it. I know how important it is to spend time with God every day but sometimes I just don’t get past the prayer stage. I love spending in-depth time in the Word but that’s not always practical. I do know I need to spend time with God when Adam asks me how long it’s been since I spent time with God or he point blank asks me if I’ve spent time with God today.
11. I have a horrible sense of smell – but I love my husband’s cologne. Especially when he spritzes some on before dinner and before we’re intimate… ;o)
12. Communicating does not always come easily for Adam and I, and sometimes I have to make a mental, but sometimes physical checklist of things I need to say to my husband. You’d think communications would flow naturally for me since I was a com major in college. But, marriage communications is so different from any other kind of communications – and second to communicating with God – it’s the most important. We try our hardest to make it a priority, but it’s still a challenge for us to communicate the most important things on our hearts and minds.
13. I have to edit a gazillion times so my posts aren’t 3000+ words long. I’ve always been wordy. It’s a blessing and a curse. I also generally sit down and write all my posts in one sitting, sometimes neglecting eating, sleeping, and household chores to finish,and Adam has to remind me to take breaks. Then I come back and edit later. And some weeks, it’s a challenge to get it under 1600 words.
14. I don’t like housework. I put off folding laundry sometimes the whole week, and then it’s time to do laundry again. I try to make it as fun as possible for myself, to stick to a chore schedule for the week, and only doing chores in 10-15 minute increments so I don’t overwhelm myself. I do it to bless Adam, but if I was alone, my house would probably always be a disaster.
15. It’s my dream to turn BHE into a full-time marriage ministry beyond the web. But it’s scary admitting that and I’m not altogether sure what that would look like or what that would mean commitment wise. I’m still in the prayer stage and communicating with God about it, but someday… I hope.
Your turn? What are you marriage blogging confessions, or just marriage confessions? Were you surprised by anything I said on this list? What else do you want to know about me?
Check out other CMBA bloggers posts:
- 10 Confessions of a Marriage Blogging Wife and 10 Confessions of a Marriage Blogging Husband from One Flesh Marriage
- 10 Confessions of a Marriage & Sex Blogger from Hot, Holy, and Humorous
- Confessions of a Marriage Blogging Wife from The Romantic Vineyard
- Confession Time from The Daily Generous Wife
- 10 Confessions of a Sex Blogger from Intimacy in Marriage;
- 10 Confessions of a Marriage Blogger from Journey to Surrender
- 12 Confessions of a Marriage & Sex Blogger from The Daily Generous Husband
Linking Up With: