13 Ideas for Earthy Romance
Earth Day was Monday, and Friday is Arbor Day. These days tend to get a bad reputation in Christian circles because it’s often taken to the extreme of worshiping the creation rather than the Creator (Romans 1:25). The Bible tells us to worship the Creator and encourages us to enjoy God’s creation.
- “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.” Genesis 1:1
- “He set the earth on its foundations, so that it should never be moved.” Psalm 19:5
- “For thus says the Lord, who created the heavens (He is God!), who formed the earth and made it (He established it; He did not create it empty, He formed it to be inhabited!): ‘I am the Lord, and there is no other.‘” Isaiah 45:18
- “He [Christ] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. For by Him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through Him and for Him.” Colossians 1:15-16
- “Worthy are You, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for You created all things, and by Your will they existed and were created.” Revelation 4:11
- “For you shall go out in joy, and be led back in peace; the mountains and the hills before you shall burst into song, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.” Isaiah 55:12
- “My beloved spoke and said to me, ‘Arise, my darling, my beautiful one, come away with me. See! The winter is past; the rains are over and gone. Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land. The fig tree forms its early fruit; the blossoming vines spread their fragrance. Arise, come, my darling; my beautiful one, come away with me.” Song of Solomon 2:10-13
- “What do workers gain from their toil? I have seen the burden God has laid on the human race. He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live. That each of them may eat and drink, and find satisfactionin all their toil—this is the gift of God.” Ecclesiastes 3:9-13
When we attribute proper credit and honor to God as Creator, we can definitely celebrate the beauty and wonder of His creation. What better place to start than to celebrate with your spouse – the final mastepiece of God’s creation!
Romantic Ideas for Your Celebration of God’s Creation
1) Read Genesis 1-2 together aloud. Praise God for how glorious His creation is, and how generous He is for giving us this world!
2) Enjoy the evening in candlelight. Turn off all the lights and light some candles, preferably beeswax (as these don’t pollute the environment and actually purify the air).
3) If you have a fireplace (we have an electric), build a fire or turn it on & enjoy your spouse bathed in the glow of fire light.
4) Plan a picnic dinner (or one inside by your fireplace) with fresh, locally grown fruits, veggies, herbs, and pasture-fed, free-range game. Head to a local farmer’s market or community market to pick out dinner selections. Be sure to hold hands as you stroll through, and take advantage of free samples. Or pick fresh food from your own garden. (We are proud to support Colorado grown in our home, and we’ve started growing our own basil, mint, and chives). Don’t use any disposable products – get out the cloth napkins, nice dishware, glasses, and fancy silverware. If the weather’s warm enough, enjoy your dinner outside.
5) If you’re planning a date night out this weekend, try taking public transportation to get there. If you’re really adventurous, look at a map of your local area on Google Earth, pick a place, and play tourist. Eat at a local restaurant, and if you can, eat in their outdoor setting. Check out parks, gardens, and hiking trails. Take advantage of free or inexpensive outdoor events. Bring a camera to take photos or use your camera phone. Upload them directly to your computer to save printer paper and ink.
6) Enjoy a long walk together. Watch a sunrise or sunset together. Stroll hand in hand or drape your arm around your spouse, and spend time talking.
7) Plan an afternoon bike or hiking trip. Pack organic munchies and a re-useable water bottle. Pick 3-4 natural sites you want to stop to see (i.e. a waterfall, river, or creek, a patch of trees, natural rock formation, etc).
8) Reduce. Reuse. Recycle. Cleaning is never a fun thing in my house, but you can make chores fun and sexy. Pick an area of your house that needs work, and work at it together. Commit to using natural cleaning products (like white or apple cider vinegar and baking soda). Challenge each other to pick 1 thing you can reuse in a unique way and 1 thing you can recycle – and pass on/donate to someone else. And remember chore-play can lead to foreplay! ;o)
9) Pick out your favorite herbs together at your local market or garden center, and start your own little potted herb garden. HGTV has a wonderful article for creating a stunning herb garden.
- Basil is a good source of Vitamin A & C, beta carotene, magnesium, and potassium. According to EatSomethingSexy.com, “In Roman times, basil was a symbol of love.” Try some of my favorite recipes I’ve tried from Pinterest: Sausage Pasta with Red Wine and Basil Tomato Sauce with Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Bites for an appetizer, homemade basil pesto with some French bread, and an unusual twist for dessert: raspberry ripple & basil cupcakes.
- “Mint’s aphrodisiac reputation is due to the herb’s ability to calm both mind and body…Best of all, the aromatic impression it leaves on the breath has been shown in case studies to inspire kissing. A hearty nibble and mint will leave your breath as fresh as a bedtime brushing.” (EatSomethingSexy.com) Try some of my favorite recipes I’ve tried from Pinterest: Chili Rubbed (Free-Range) Chicken with Mango Mint Salsa or Cilantro-Mint Chicken, serve raspberry mint cooler, an avocado, strawberry, mango salad with mint, try watermelon cubes, fresh Mozzarella cheese, and mint drizzled with organic honey as an appetizer, and a chocolate frozen mint dessert.
- Rosemary encourages digestion, helping you burn off calories from a romantic feast before a sexy feast of another kind. It also helps lower stress levels, relax tense muscles, and soothe nerves. Menu Option 1: Roasted Cherry and Brie Pizza with Rosemary and Caramelized Onions with a Rosemary Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato Salad. Menu Option 2: Try Spicy Rosemary Pasta, Rosemary Roasted Squash and Sauteed Mushroom Salad(or you can use sweet potatoes), and garlic rosemary bread. Menu Option 3: Rosemary Pork Chops, Oven Roasted Rosemary Potatoes, and Fresh Rosemary-Parmesan Rolls. Cocktail? Blackberry Rosemary Punch. Appetizers? Bacon Wrapped Potato Bites with Spicy Sour Cream Rosemary Dipping Sauce, Maple Rosemary Almonds, or Roasted Red Grapes and Rosemary Crostini. Dessert ideas? Maple Rosemary Coffee Cake or Blackberry Balsamic Rosemary Sauce over Cheesecake Bites.
10) Visit a local zoo, creation museum, botanical gardens, or butterfly gardens. I wrote my husband a cute little note back in February when we visited the zoo on one of Denver’s free zoo days!
11) Climb trees together. I love tree-climbing. Find a good and sturdy tree (preferably not trespassing in your neighbor’s yard) and help each other up. Once up in the tree, consider bird-watching, people-watching, praying together, singing worship songs, and lots of smooching!
12) The Romantic Vineyard has some great suggestions from watching the Planet Earth series together to enjoying a Garden of Eden themed date night – with the best part being, “they were naked and not ashamed.”
13) Enjoy each other’s bodies & make love! J from Hot, Holy, and Humorous says sex on the beach or directly on the ground isn’t all that sexy, but sex outdoors can be great with a little planning. (You can always pitch a tent in the backyard.) The point is – God made your bodies – you’re married – enjoy them!
Linking Up With:
- Posted in: 5 Love Languages ♦ Date Your Spouse ♦ Knowing God ♦ Romance ♦ Sex ♦ Special Events and Holidays ♦ Spicing Up the Bedroom
- Tagged: Arbor Day, Dates on a Budget, Earth Day, Foodie Dates, Great Outdoors Dates, Out & About Dates, Physical Affection & Attention, Quality Time, Seasonal Dates, Spicing Up Sex, Stay at Home Dates, Talking Dates, Travel & Vacation Dates, Unique Date Ideas, Worship